Mammoth MX 2008 - Race Day 1

So yes, I did race the weekend before my wedding. Yes motorcycles are dangerous and there's always a risk of injury, but as Dave Potter says, "it's what I do." Tati was nothing but supportive. Her mom was too, in fact she told me , "don't think about anything. No negative thoughts, just concentrate on what you have to do, and go out and win!!!
In my first qualifier I got my typically bad start. Said to myself, "here we go again" and just put my head down and passed as many guys as possible. On the last lap alone I passed 5 guys. When I came around the last corner I saw the checkered flag, but no one in front of me. I figured that the lead pack got away and I probably didn't even qualify. (Top 8 go to the main). When I pulled off the track my buddy Rich told me, "impressive ride." When I got back to the truck and pulled my helmet off, Rich told me again, "impressive ride ... you went from around 20th to 1st." 1st!?!?!? I won? I didn't even know I actually won my qualifier!
In the main event I got another mid pack start, but rode aggressively and made it all the way to 4th. My buddy Jeff Tigert finished 3rd, we joked "Shake-n-bake".

4th place trophy. "Trophy The Bear".

No comments: